Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Trenton Systems Inc. for fresh articles!
MBC8240 Modular Blade Card
The MBC8240 modular blade card is a single board computer designed and built for the 1U MBS1000 modular blade server. In MBS1000 applications, the MBC8240 SBC brings a choice of long-life/embedded, Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 v3 Series, Intel® Core™ i7-4790S, Intel® Core™ i5-4590S or Intel® Core™ i3-4330TE processor functionality to modular 1U server applications.Request a Quote
- Tech Specs
The MBC8240 Modular Blade Card
The MBC8240 processor options utilize a 22nm micro-architecture, and have a DDR3-1600 integrated memory controller that supports two, dual-channel DDR3-1600 memory interfaces. The MBC8240 modular blade card supports four DDR3 DIMM sockets. With 4GB, DDR3 DIMMs the total system memory capacity for a MBC8240 is 16GB and doubles to 32GB using 8GB DDR3 DIMMs.
The MBC8240 modular blade card features an integrated metal slide tray that enables the SBC assembly to easily slide into the rear processor slot of the MBS1000 chassis. A mid-plane interface board (MPI8241) inside the MBS1000 engages with the blade's two edge connectors to provide a seamless integration into the MBS1000 modular blade system. Additional MBC8240 features include:
- PCI Express expansion slot and x16 PCIe riser card supports full-height/full-lenght PCIe cards
- Seven Gigabit LAN ports with one Ethernet port dedicated to remote system management
- Three SATA/600 ports that can support independent drives or RAID drive arrays
- Multiple USB interfaces are supported
- One VGA video port
- An integrated TPM 1.2 for Trusted Computing implementations
Like all of our Trenton-built single board computers, the MBC8240 is designed, integrated and supported by Trenton Systems in the United States. Our exclusive 5-year factory warranty is a standard feature with the MBC8240 modular blade card and an associated mid-plane interface board like the Trenton Systems MPI8241 used in the MBS1000 modular blade server.
Modular Blade Form Factor – This single board computer form factor is ideal for 1U rackmount blade servers using Trenton’s MPI8241 mid-plane interface board.
- 1 – Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3 Series or
- 1 – Intel Core i7-4790S or
- 1 – Intel Core i5-4590S or
- 1 – Intel Core i3-4330TE
Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v3 Processor – Quad core, 3.5GHz with Hyper-Threading, 8MB cache, 84W TDP
Intel® Xeon® E3-1225 v3 Processor – Quad core, 3.2GHz without Hyper-Threading, 8MB cache, 84W TDP (base configuration processor)
Intel® Xeon® E3-1268L v3 Processor – Quad core, 2.3GHz with Hyper-Threading, 8MB cache, 45W TDP
Intel® Core™ i7-4790S Processor – Quad core, 3.2GHz with Hyper-Threading, 8MB cache, 65W TDP
Intel® Core™ i5-4590S Processor – Quad core, 3.0GHz without Hyper-Threading, 6MB cache, 65W TDP
Intel® Core™ i3-4330TE Processor – Dual core, 3.5GHz with Hyper-Threading, 4MB cache, 35W TDP
These long-life processors built on the Intel® 22nm Micro-architecture (i.e. Haswell) and utilize a 5GT/s DMI or DMI2 interface to the board’s Intel® C226 PCH.
The board’s two dual-channel DDR3-1600 memory interfaces support four standard DIMM sockets for a 32GB maximum system memory capability when using 8GB DDR3 DIMMs.
Note: The Intel® Core™ i7-4790S and Intel® Core™ i5-4590S processor options do not support ECC memory.
AMI – Aptio® 4.x
Intel® C226 Platform Controller Hub (PCH) (Lynx Point)
DDR3-1600, 32GB max.
- 1 – x8 PCIe 3.0 link drives the MBC8240 PCI Express option card slot
- 1 – 10/100/1000Base-T system management port for remote monitor using Trenton’s
- Smart System Management (SSM) software implementation of the industry standard
- Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI)
- 6 – 10/100/1000Base-T general purpose Ethernet LANs
- 6 – SATA/600 ports with RAID (3 – available for routing to the front of a 1U chassis, and
- 3 – available for an internal SATA drive connection)
- 12 – USB interfaces (6 – rear I/O bracket, 2 – available for routing to the front of a 1U chassis, and 4 – available for internal USB device connections)
- 1 – VGA Analog Video
32GB maximum when using standard 8GB DDR3 DIMMs. The board’s two, dual-channel DDR3-1600 memory interfaces have four DIMM sockets that support unbuffered ECC, PC3-12800 DDR3 memory DIMMs.
All available MBC8240 processor options support the DDR3-1600 maximum memory interface speed.
Note: The Intel® Core™ i7-4790S and Intel® Core™ i5-4590S processor options do not support ECC memory. ECC memory DIMMs are cost effective and can be used with these processor options, but the processors will ignore the ECC functionality of the memory DIMMs.
Option Card Slot Details
Standard PCI Express Option Card Slot – The PCIe card slot on the MBC8240 supports full-height, plug-in PCI Express option cards. Trenton’s BRC8244 is a riser card with a standard x16 PCIe mechanical interface connector that plugs into the PCIe slot on the MBC8240 modular blade card. This right-angle riser card has another industry standard x16 PCIe mechanical interface connector that enables x1, x4, x8 or x16 PCIe cards to connect to the single board computer. The MBC8240’s PCIe slot is driven with a x8 PCI Express 3.0 electrical interface direct from the SBC’s processor. The interface fully supports the automatic link training provisions specified in the PCI Express 3.0 industry standard. This enables the SBC to automatically support PCI Express compliant 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0 cards.
Analog Video Port – Located on the board’s I/O bracket and supports standard 15-pin VGA video cables.
- Intel® i350-AM4 Quad Ethernet Controller – Four 10/100/1000Base-T on I/O Bracket Connectors LAN1, LAN2, LAN3 and, LAN4
- Intel® i350-AM2 Dual Ethernet Controller – Two 10/100/1000Base-T on I/O Bracket Connectors LAN5, and LAN6
- Intel® i210 Ethernet PHY – One 10/100/1000Base-T interface on I/O Bracket Connector LAN0, and dedicated to platform management via Trenton’s Smart System Management (SSM) software
Lithium – CMOS data retention
- Board dimensions – 14.5” (368mm) L including front I/O bracket x 9.0” (229mm) W
- Cooling solution height – 1.33” (33.8mm)
Agency Approvals & Compliance
Designed for UL69050, CAN/CSA C22.2 No.60950-00, EN55022:1998 Class B, EN61000-4-2:1995, EN61000-4-3:1997, EN61000-4-4:1995, EN61000-4-5:1995, EN61000-4-6:1996, EN61000-4-11:1994
Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF)
808,825 operating hours (Power-On Hours POH) at 40° C per Bellcore, and using the simulation software RelCalc V5.1 TELC3 software Telcordia SR-332 (Edition 3) implemented models.
Operating Temperature: 0-45° C inside a 1U blade server chassis such as the Trenton MBS1000 with the standard cooling solution and 350LFM of continuous airflow for all processor options except the Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v3.
NOTE: The maximum operating temperature for the MBC8240 with the Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v3 processor option installed with the standard cooling solution and 350LFM of continuous airflow across the board is 40° C.
- Airflow: 350LFM continuous airflow
- Storage: -20° to 70° C.
- Humidity: 8% to 85% RH @ -12° C dew point, non-condensing